The dog was the first species to be domesticated and has been selectively bred over millennia for various behaviors, sensory capabilities, and physical attributes.
Dogs are man’s best friend, dogs are the oldest pet man have ever used, Dogs are the most loved pet of all.
Here are the 10 most interesting facts about dogs
- Labradors are the most popular dog breed in the United States.
- A puppy is born blind, deaf and toothless.
- Dogs are as smart as 2-year-old children.
- Household plants like begonia, Poinsettia and aloe vera are poisonous to dogs (and other mammals)
- Dogs can read our emotions.
- Dogs don’t feel guilt.
- A dog’s sense of smell is 10,000 to 100,000 stronger than ours
- Smaller breeds mature faster than larger breeds.
- Dogs are also susceptible to parasites such as fleas, ticks, mites, hookworms, tapeworms, roundworms, and heartworms (roundworm species that lives in the heart of dogs).
- It is illegal to own a dog as a pet in Iran
- Different tail wags mean different things.
- Dogs are man’s best friend but there are still millions of dogs homeless.
- Dogs can see some colors.
- Dogs dream like humans.
- Dogs can help people with health problems.
- Dogs know the size of another dog by the sound of their growling.
- Dogs sweat through their paws.
- A number of common human foods and household ingestibles are toxic to dogs, including chocolate solids (theobromine poisoning), onion and garlic etc.
- The breed with the shortest lifespan is the Dogue de Bordeaux, with a median longevity of about 5.2 years.
- Dogs have been described as carnivores or omnivores.