These fish cakes are a doddle to make and you can make them from frozen fish and leftover mashed potato.
10 to 30 mins
Makes 8-12 cakes
- 450g/1lb potato, chopped into chunks
- 450g/1lb mixed frozen fish such as cod, haddock, salmon, smoked haddock
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- vegetable oil, for frying
- salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 190C/170C Fan/Gas 5.
- For the mashed potato, bring a pot of salted water to the boil. Add the potatoes to the pot and cook until tender, this should take about 15 minutes. When cooked drain in a colander and leave to drain for a few minutes. Return to the pot and mash with a potato masher until a smooth consistency is achieved. Set aside.
- Put the frozen fish on a roasting tin and cook in the oven for about 10-15 minutes until opaque and starting to flake. When cool enough to handle, remove the skin and any bones and flake the fish into large chunks.
- Mix the fish, mashed potato, parsley and egg together until well combined. (Mix together carefully so as not to break up the fish too much.) Season with salt and pepper. Shape the mixture into 8-12 patties, depending on how large you want them to be and set aside to chill in the fridge for one hour.
- Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan and fry the fish cakes until golden brown on each side and heated right through. Serve with tartare sauce and a simple salad