Reading is very important. Just like any other muscle in the body, the brain requires exercise to keep it strong and healthy.
The benefits of reading include
- Stress Reduction.
- Knowledge gain.
- Vocabulary Expansion.
- Memory Improvement.
- Stronger Analytical Thinking Skills.
- Improved Focus and Concentration.
- Better Writing Skills.
Here are some few tips you can apply to make reading a habit:
1. Set aside time to read every day. It may be just 5-10 minutes that you have to spare, but crack a book open at least once a day.
2. Keep a book with you at all times so you can read during any free time you have throughout the day.
3. If the book really doesn’t grab your attention, it’s okay to walk away from it. Read the first chapter or so and if you’re not interested, move on. But, if you’re really into what you’re reading, you won’t be able to put the book down and reading will be fun. Choose books that seem interesting to you
4. Join a group that reads books that you know will be interesting. If you really like fantasy books, join a fantasy book group.
5. Make a space that you will love lounging in while you’re reading. Make sure it is comfortable and inviting. It is also essential that the space has good lighting so you don’t strain your eyes. Have a plate of snacks and tea or coffee nearby to enjoy while you read.